Saturday, January 2, 2016

New Year's Resolutions

Often when I ask someone about their New Year's resolutions, I get a negative response. "Why should New Year's be special?" they say. "I feel like everyone makes resolutions on New Year's and then forgets them a month later."

On the one hand, the date is arbitrary, and of course you might fail to stick with your resolution. On the other hand, it's an opportunity to gather up your gumption, your energy and will, which is to say, your resolve, and embark on an endeavor you may well have been dreaming about your whole life. If you fail, so what? There's always next year - until there isn't. As Goethe wrote, "Whatever you do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it."

My 2016 resolutions are the same resolutions I've made for years now: Write another novel. Exercise regularly. Do more zazen. Listen carefully. Be less arrogant and more receptive. Support my community however I can. Love those close to me and far away. Stoke the fire of attention until every moment burns incandescent.

No comments:

Post a Comment